OK, so it is time to report on the progress with the lockdown editor.
During the previous week I did some gnome-control-center poking, and Ryan (desrt) is pushing to extend account services to support mandatory dconf profiles, group management and such things. The discussions of how [if] this should be implemented are still ongoing. I coded a prototype that gives some idea how it would look to an administrator:
In addition to the Standard and Administrator, there are custom account types in system, and choosing “Manage” opens a new application that can create/delete/modify types of accounts.
Meanwhile, I am working on the “Manage” part. After talking to my mentor about the most appropriate language for this, I figured I’d write it in Vala. So far all problems I’ve had with it were solved either by reading documentation, or just by assuming it is very closely modelled to C (well, at least when it comes to functions). Alas, right now I have no pretty screenshots to show — only ugly ones — since I am writing backend functions, but I should have something pretty to show this weekend.