Yesterday I spent the whole day with translators discussing how to make localization efforts easier for everyone. The work in progress is documented on GNOME wiki page.
A quick overview of things to be done:
- Make a release calendar, to keep translators in the flow of the software release cycle.
- Give priorities to modules to help new/small teams make the best use of their time and effort.
- Make a policy of deprecating modules and asking maintainers to make a new release when new translations are added to an otherwise inactive project.
- Statistics should be based on words, not strings (still being discussed).
- Increase required string percentage from 80% to 90% for supported languages, but limit the modules which have to be translated.
- Increase participation in outreach programs.